Skip to main content

The Legend of Zelda: A Light in the Darkness


art by UniqScheick12

"The flow of time is always cruel... Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days..."
~Sheik, LoZ:OoT

This massive post brought to you by the inner musings of a gal who was just gifted with an awesome gold Triforce pendant and is nostalgically listening to her LoZ playlist~




My brother had it personally made overseas without knowing it's something I've always wanted. I've illustrated myself with something of the sort for many years, and even made one out of clay a few years back - but a clay pendant wasn't exactly the kind of piece I'd had in mind.




Needless to say, I flipped. lol It makes me really happy~
Why is that, though?
I've often wondered what outsiders think of this simple symbol when they see it. Sierpinski triangle? :p It's amazing how much more meaning it holds for me (and other avid Zelda fans) than the average person.
The Triforce is the overarching symbol of power and life in the Legend of Zelda series. It came into existence as divine providence after the three Golden Goddesses created Hyrule. It often is seen embedded in the Hylian crest as a symbol of Hyrule's treasured royal family.



When fans wear it as jewelry or adorn their belongings with it, however...they're referencing everything they love about the franchise, not just the goddesses or the royal family.

But I haven't answered the question as to WHY it makes me so happy. 
I've asked myself this a lot, and have come up with many, many reasons for loving the series so much. I've admitted elsewhere that my memories of The Legend of Zelda are not of games, but of adventures. That's huge. That means it's made its way into the recesses of my soul and become a part of me on a deep level. How? 
I recently came to realize that I discovered LoZ during the best days of my life. 
1998, when LoZ: Ocarina of Time released, I had recently turned 9 years old and moved to Texas where I met some of the best friends I ever had, and, in turn, had some of the best life adventures I'd cherish for the rest of my days. 


We were explorers. Inventors. Warriors. Entrepreneurs. Builders. Pilots. Superheroes. Cowboys. Anything and everything we wanted to be. Everything was an adventure and our domain was boundless. Before the days of caring what the world thought of us, before the pressures of adulthood. Days were spent in forests and rivers. Nights were spent capturing fireflies in bottles and having them light our way through dark alleys and under bridges. 
Late autumn/early winter that year, one of my friends was playing Ocarina of Time while his brother and mine were establishing a lego society with me at the other end of the bedroom. I liked watching video games being played, but rarely picked up a controller myself unless it was Mario-related. However, that particular day, I saw this adorable blonde-haired, blue-eyed elfish character on the screen, and my little 9-year old heart skipped a beat. :p 
Yes, my initial attachment to LoZ was completely Link-driven. 


Could anyone seriously blame me...? :]

And then he grew up... Don't even get me started.


But, as time went on and I continued to watch this game's story unfold, I grew increasingly drawn to the adventure and the seemingly magical way it tugged at my heartstrings. Ocarina of Time was a game unlike any other, and has since been regarded as one of the Best Video Games of All Time
Google that sh*t, I dare you. :]
There is a strikingly unique charisma about how this masterpiece of a franchise engages the player and immerses them in an unforgettable journey. The producers, including genius composer Koji Kondo, also understand how pivotal a role music plays in flipping the switches of memory, emotion, and experience. The prominent melodies heard throughout the games aid not only in establishing atmosphere and strategic connotations, but also in giving the player a strong connection to their adventure and every sensation it sparked even after the system is powered off. That's one reason why The Symphony of the Goddesses touring North America today has been such a huge hit~

 

The odysseys I embarked on through the Legend of Zelda series reminded me of my own invaluable adventures and gave me an even stronger connection to those glory days. Not only that, but it burst open the door to the restless imagination I had waiting to be liberated. LoZ inspired me to take my art and story-telling to the next level and beyond. And, as the franchise continues, my inspiration reaches new levels...as does my ability to escape into solace...into a place where, even though there are challenges, there is also a peace I only knew best as a young kid. This fantastical world always renews a sense in me that, despite the trials I face...I have the ability to handle it. I can overcome.

art by Flipsi

art by UnidColor

I bring LoZ into my artwork and as many other places in my life as I reasonably can to give myself that unfailing boost in brightness to whatever I'm doing. 













I experience pain like every human being, and my soul callouses and grows in the ways of the world. Even still, nothing has been able to stifle the magical effect The Legend of Zelda has on me. In my absolute darkest times, I rely most heavily on two things: God and LoZ. 
Interestingly enough, there are plenty of Christian references in the games, including crosses, angels, and an allusion to the Holy Trinity. The religion wouldn't have fit too well in this alternate universe, so I'm fine with direction it went. But the connection still makes me smile. 

And I feel so privileged to have been able to share my love of said games with the world via my artwork over the years! Nintendo has a great community of fans out there, and I've been honored with recognition from big-name gaming communities such as IGN and ZeldaInformer. And can't forget all the awesome people I've met through similar means~




If I stayed to talk about all the things I adore about LoZ and how I've involved myself in it, this post would be several miles long, and I'd probably wear out after many weeks of typing. :p But I'm hoping this entry sheds some light on where I'm coming from and how much I truly value this gem of a creation. I'm honestly not sure it can be completely captured in words ... but I sure as hell tried! Gold star for effort~

One last thing I just randomly wanna share: 
I'm paying through LoZ: Twilight Princess again these days, and recently came across a beautiful digital painting of Princess Zelda that captures some of the genuine emotion felt in many parts of the game. 
art by bellhenge
Revel in it.

CAN'T WAIT FOR ZELDA ON WII U NEXT YEAR!!!!


Until next time~


~Uni

















Comments