Skip to main content

Childish Adults

-WARNING-
This entry is a rant. 
Read at your own risk.

     I had to apologize to a good friend today who was gracious enough to accompany me to an anime convention I frequent. She was pretty excited about it, and while I had some fun, for the most part I was just 'meh' about it. And other times I was downright cynical, so I felt bad. 
I often get that way at cons due to the people. Some folks are awesome, wonderful, talented, and fun to be around. But then there are many con goers are, bluntly, disgusting...and I have low tolerance for the behavior. 

I support having fun. I support being immature every now and then. What I don't support is grown, healthy, adult human beings acting like preschoolers in a public place like its okay. It makes me sick, quite literally at times. 

Do not scream if you want something. Talk. Ask politely. RESTRAIN YOURSELF like an educated, intelligent, sane, well-behaved person. Trust me, it's possible to have a great time and act civil simultaneously. Sure, holler if you're excited. But don't do it constantly, don't do it in my ear, and don't lose control and start foaming at the mouth (I've seen this happen) unless you'd like me to call animal control.

Do not touch me. If you want a hug, ASK, and then do so in a chill manner if I say yes. If you jump on me, fool with my costume, cling without permission, OR PUT YOUR ARM AROUND MY WAIST LIKE YOU OWN ME, expect to be shunned and possibly reported. 

Do not ask stupid questions (they do exist and can be insulting). Google is your friend, because we don't know each other. I'm seriously debating bringing a photo of every canon sailor senshi with me to conventions I attend as Uni. 

"Are you Sailor Venus?!?!" 
...Seriously...?





I also have been called Moon, Saturn, and Cosmos in this costume - none of which look anything like the character. Folks can't take a look at the caliber of my work and think that just MAYBE if I wanted it to look like a canon senshi...it WOULD? Then in my Haruhi outfit...which is complete with brown hair and no glasses...frequently gets called Kyouya...(more like screamed at, because we all know normal talking is just so complicated)...


The brain matter isn't functioning...as though they'd downright explode if logical thought dared prance through the hollow of their skull. It's tragic. 

Do not suddenly stop in the middle of a walkway. Common courtesy. Walkways are for moving. When people loiter or aggressively cease operating in the flow of traffic, bad things happen.

Do shower. WTF?? Just because we have nice people here doesn't mean skip on life basics.

Do not stalk people. I shouldn't have to explain this one.

And, apologies, but I get uncomfortable when grown adults prance around and yell like toddlers without intentionally acting. I'm sorry if you find that fun. Dancing and singing is one thing, okay, there is a big difference between that and uncontrollably galloping around in public with your shirt off while belting the words to your favorite J-pop song like the world needs to hear your tone deaf antics. If this was anywhere else, you'd probably be arrested for public disturbance, indecency, and possibly acting out under the influence of some obscure drug.

There are other things on my "do and do not" list that are merely personal preference. People playing ocarinas in the corner like they want attention are annoying, adults full sprinting indoors or talking like they've never set foot in an educational facility worries me...

I suppose this pegs me as pretty negative.

I attend anime cons for two things: cosplay and art. Occasionally, I'll indulge myself in the presence of a talented voice actor. But mostly, it's my passion for fantastical creativity that drives me to keep going back to these things. In addition, I have attended at least 14 conventions since '07, and there's only one at which I didn't make any money. My artwork gets me paid at cons even when I don't have a table in the Artist Alley - like in contests - and that keeps me returning.

I just wish I could enjoy myself a bit more without having to worry about the immense lack of maturity at these events. 

This is one reason why I love my boyfriend so much. He willingly listens to these rants of mine and offers a calm, stable, intelligent mind for me to rely on when people around me just seem so out of it...

Definitely hoping I get to speak with him soon.



~Uni



Comments